It’s that time of year again! December 20 marks the last day of Fall but, as they say, every ending has a new beginning. This has never been more true with the four full seasons that Algoma has to offer. As the winter season quickly approaches, several new opportunities become available throughout the Algoma region.
Missed the chance to catch that trophy northern pike this past fall fishing season? No problem! With winter around the corner, Algoma offers some of the best lakes for the ice fishing season to give you that second chance. Gather friends, family, or both and travel to some of Algoma’s most remote and relaxing lakes filled with trout, walleye, and northern pike that are “That big”. Whether it’s snowmobiling to a remote destination, or driving to a four season lodge, Algoma offers something for everyone. But why stop there? If remote relaxation is not your thing and you’re looking for a little challenge and competition, there are great opportunities to participate in annual ice fishing derbies.
Did you know that Algoma has over 2,200 km/1,400 miles of fully groomed and maintained snowmobile trails? The winter season brings sledders from all over to ride some of the most breathtaking, scenic trails in Ontario. Ride the “North Shore Loop” and be taken away to the awesome landscapes in Algoma. A side loop on St. Joseph Island with a connection to Drummond Island, USA (via the Ice Bridge), and great staging areas with full amenities to provide you with the experience of a life time. Algoma also offers a unique sledding experience for the thrill seeking rider who doesn’t want to stay on the trail. Algoma is home to a Top Secret Boondocking Location allowing you to ride some of the best backcountry in the Great Lakes region.
The thrill seeking however, does not stop there! Algoma’s rugged terrain is perfect for many other winter activities such as snowshoeing, cross country skiing, and Canada’s favourite pastime, downhill skiing. Explore Algoma’s winter landscape from a 750-foot vertical drop or along frozen lakes in some of the most surreal locations Algoma has to offer.
Bruce Bay Cottages & Lighthouse
Located only 45 minsutes from Sault Ste. Marie and the International Bridge (accessible by car), Bruce Bay Cottages & Lighthouse is an escape to nature on two private islands located in the North Channel of Lake Huron. Although the cottages are closed for the season, the lighthouse and lounge are open for all seasons.
Snowmobile and Winter Package
Escape to nature at the 1907 McKay Island Lighthouse on Lake Huron. You have a panoramic view of Lake Huron and the horizon from the living room. Climb the stairs to the widow walk for an amazing view of the North Channel.
Bruce Bay Cottages & Lighthouse is located on the north shore of Lake Huron in the town of Bruce Mines and has plenty of parking and staging space for your vehicles, trailers and equipment. The Lighthouse accommodations can be used as a nightly retreat for your entire trip, or as a starting and finishing point if you plan to tour the network of Algoma trails. Contact for more information about this snowmobile-friendly accommodation, restaurants and fuel along the trail.
Glenview Cottages is located on Great Northern Road in Sault Ste. Marie just 6 minutes north of the Sault Area Hospital and a 15-minute drive to downtown. Glenview’s clean, modern one- and two-bedroom cottages are open year-round and can be rented on a nightly, weekly or extended stay basis.
Modern Suites and Cottages
The cottages are available year-round making it a perfect staging destination for all of your winter activities including snowmobiling, ice fishing, snowshoeing, and skiing. All cottages feature full kitchens and bathrooms, your own home away from home! Glenview’s cottages are a great alternative to a hotel or motel room as they offer more privacy, more space and the equipped kitchen allows you to save on restaurant meals. Complimentary wireless internet access is available for all cottages. A common room with fireplace, pool table, coin-op guest laundry is available to all guests as well as a hot tub (available in fall & winter).
Located along the beautiful Goulais River on Highway 556 and only 30 minutes from Sault Ste Marie, Canadian/Michigan International border. Mountainview Lodge offers a natural northern vacation in the heart of maple country. Whether you are looking for a quiet nature getaway or an adventure packed weekend, Mountainview Lodge can help plan that vacation for you.
Northern Lodging at Mountainview Lodge
Mountianview Lodge is open year-round to suit all of your outdoor needs. When the winter season arrives, Mountainview Lodge offers meals and accommodations, and snowmobiling (guided or unguided) to provide you with an experience like no other. Enjoy the beautiful landscapes and rugged terrain while you ride the endless trails of untouched Northern Ontario. If you do not have a snowmobile, no problem. Mountianview Lodge offers Snowmobile Rentals for your convenience.
Wakomata Shores Resort
At Wakomata Shores Resort discover ayear-round, daily and weekly cottage and cabin resort paradise on beautiful Wakomata Lake, located 32 miles north of Thessalon on Hwy 129. Deluxe housekeeping accommodations including fireplace, carpeting, 4-piece baths, microwaves, sun decks furnished with chairs, and gas grills overlooking the lake. For the winter, enjoy groomed, snowmobile trails from the Thessalon and Iron Bridge trail systems, as well as great ice fishing, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.
Overnight and Weekly Packages at Wakomata Resort
In the winter, the resort is hopping with guests who enjoy ice fishing, snowmobiling, tobogganing, snowshoeing and cross country skiing. The wood burning fireplaces found in all of their cottages have a special appeal during the colder months. Wakomata Shores Resort offers all of the amenities needed to experience a true northern winter getaway!
Wawa Ice Fishing Derby
Ice Fishing Derby in Wawa, Ontario! March 2, 2018 – March 4, 2018
The Wawa Ice Fishing Derby celebrates 27 years! The annual ice fishing derby is held on 3 lakes (Wawa Lake, Hawk Lake, Manitowik Lake) with thousands in cash and prizes to be won.
Register today to compete in one of the most exciting and most anticipated competitions the North has to offer, the Wawa Ice Fishing Derby! With over $140, 000 in prizes, the Wawa Ice Fishing Derby will not disappoint. Friends and family from all over get together each year to compete in this event on one of the 3 Derby lakes (Wawa Lake, Hawk Lake and Manitowik Lake) to claim their prize!
Winter Accommodations in Algoma
- Agich’s Riverside Cabins – Hornepayne, Ontario
- Algoma’s Water Tower Inn & Suites – Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Beaver Motel – Wawa, Ontario
- Bel-Air Motel – Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Bellevue Valley Lodge – Goulais River, Ontario
- Best Northern Motel – Wawa, Ontario
- Blueberry Hill Motel & Campground – Goulais River, Ontario
- Bristol Motel – Wawa, Ontario
- Carolyn Beach Inn & Restaurant – Thessalon, Ontario
- Catalina Motel – Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Cedar Rail Ranch – Thessalon, Ontario
- Chapleau Ski Hill – Chapleau, Ontario
- Comfort Inn – Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Continental Motel – White River, Ontario
- Days Inn & Suites – Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Driftwood Valley Chalets – Searchmont, Ontario
- Dunlop Lake Lodge – Elliot Lake, Ontario
- Ernie’s Housekeeping Cabins – Missanabie, Ontario
- Fairfield Inn & Suites – Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Flame Lake Lodge – Chapleau, Ontario
- Halfway Haven – Wawa, Ontario
- Hiawatha Highlands – Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Hilton Beach Inn – Hilton Beach, Ontario
- Holiday Inn Express – Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Holiday Motel – Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Lake Lauzon Resort & Marine – Algoma Mills, Ontario
- Misty Mountain Fly Shop / McCauley’s Motel – Havilland Bay, Ontario
- Moose Horn Lodge – Chapleau, Ontario
- Mount Dufour Ski Hill – Elliot Lake, Ontario
- Parkway Motel – Wawa, Ontario
- Quality Inn & Suites Bay Front – Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Quattro Suites & Conference Centre – Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Relay Magpie Resort – Dubreuilville, Ontario
- Searchmont Resort – Searchmont, Ontario
- Skyline Motel – Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Snowshoe Camp Resort – Thessalon, Ontario
- Stonefield House Bed & Breakfast – Richards Landing, Ontario
- The Clansmen Motel – Richards Landing, Ontario
- Thessalon Ski Trails – Thessalon, Ontario
- Wawa Motor Inn – Wawa, Ontario
- White River Motel – White River, Ontario
- Villa Inn & Suites – Hearst, Ontario
Sledding in Canada
There are 4 things you need to have to sled in Ontario:
- A passport to enter and leave Canada
- Your sled must be licenced and insured
- You must have an OFSC Trail Permit on your Sled to ride in Ontario
- Order an Algoma Trails Snowmobile Map
Learn more about the North Shore Loop, Algoma Trails and order a free snowmobile map at www.sledalgoma.com
Ontario Fishing Regulations & Licence Information
For details including seasons, licenced and creel limits. Please consult the district offices of the Ministry of Natural Resources in Blind River, Chapleau, Sault Ste. Marie, Wawa or White River. Speak with the lodge owners, guide services, local bait/tackle shops and sporting goods operators, who can answer all your questions. Remember, you will need an Outdoors Card and Fishing Licence to fish in Ontario.
Five Days of Winter in Algoma – Day Five – Snow Day In The Soo
Skiing, snowshoeing, fat biking, ice fishing, time sure flies when your...Read More
Algoma’s Best Sled Head Hangouts
The pressure builds to plan that epic snowmobile trip. There’s a lot to...Read More
Five Days of Winter in Algoma – Day Three – Hiawatha Highlands
If you ask me if I consider myself a cross-country skier the answer would...Read More